Well guys we have just 3 sleeps remaining until our first back to hockey session, if you’re looking to be a part of something fun, want to build your fitness up, make new friends then come join in.
Experience, a little experience, no experience, no worries we will support you.
Here is your 2019/20 committee. Well done everyone.
Welfare Jan & Nicola
1st team Emily
2nd team Sally
Social media Abi & Millie
Junior committee Nicky assistant Ellie
Fixtures sec Jenna, Gill and Helen
Thank you everyone for a great awards evening. Thank you to all our coaches, captains, committee, umpires, volunteers and players.
The club person award went to chair, Heather for her continued hard work keeping the club running.
The 1st team awards were:
Emily players player
Hatty most improved
Helen captains player
Nicola wally of the season
The 2nd team awards were:
Bella players player
Beccy captains player
Megan most improved
Megan wally of the season
Don’t forget AGM is Tuesday evening at park school from 7pm.
AGM –2nd April – Roles and Responsibilities
It’s that time again for the AGM where all can attend to show support for the club, it’s a chance to hear about the club success and what has happened over the last season, what we have accomplished and discuss how to move forward into the new season. Come and take part and join the committee, below are a list of roles available on the committee, please take a look and see if there is anything you would like to take on and be a part of, you can share roles if you prefer but we would love to see some new faces get involved, parents and players.
Current committee members:
Heather – Chairperson
Charlotte – Vice Chairperson
Rhona – website, social media, kit
Nell – social secretary
Caroline – treasurer
Jenna – fixtures/umpires
Jan/ Nicky- Safeguarding
Nicky – Junior co-ordinator
Keeley – secretary
Roles and Responsibilities
- Chair the Committee meetings and AGM
- Direct general affairs of the club
- Lead the committee in making decisions for the benefit of the whole club including disciplinary matters
- Represent an unbiased viewpoint allowing free discussion to take place
- Have the casting vote on any unresolved club issues
- Assist the Club Secretary to produce agendas
- Represent the club at external meetings, when required
- Manage and oversee the work of officers and other club personnel
- Present the club’s annual report at the AGM
- Being part of the committee therefore undertaking collaborative activities: Tournaments, training, coaching, umpiring, junior committee, courses, organising the trophies, bib washing etc.
- To support Chairperson – as above
- To attend and organise Annual AGM meeting prior to start of hockey season
- To attend regular committee meetings when required, to set agenda and help book room etc, help with minutes if secretary not available
- Attend and represent the club at external hockey meetings
- To support Chairperson in all tasks
- To utilise the skills and ability of fellow committee members and help with tasks
- To aid in any events organised by the club/committee
- To work with the Chair and committee to ensure all club policies, Health & Safety, Welfare and general affaires of the club are upheld
Media Officer – website, marketing, social media
- Post on Facebook and Twitter regularly to increase followers and remind people we are here!
- Post the weekend matches as well as results on Facebook, Twitter & website
- Post the latest information within the club: important dates, cancelled training etc on face book, twitter & website.
- Update the website with the latest information: committee members, fixtures, scores, match reports, photos, dates (e.g. junior tournament, dinners etc), meeting minutes any news or events.
- Put the weeks teams on the website with links to this on Facebook
- Respond to any relevant “contact us” emails
- Forward team match reports to the North Devon Journal before 10am Tuesday
Ladies First team captain.
- Work with second team captain to select training squads.
- Work with coaches to plan training sessions.
- Lead the warm up at training sessions or organise someone else to lead it.
- Organise cover for training sessions when the coach is away.
- Work with Second Team Captain to get player availability and select teams for matches.
- Organise transport and teas for Saturday matches.
- Make sure the balls, spare kit and first aid kit are looked after and bought to matches.
- Make sure any borrowed kit is returned and washed.
- Organise the formation of the team and substitutions for matches.
- Make sure match fees and team money is collected after matches.
- Make sure the match book is completed and the result sent off/ confirmed with the league secretary.
- Attend committee meetings.
Vice-Captain 1st & 2nd teams
- Support the captain giving advice when needed/ asked on player selection and formations
- Help organise players at training and on Saturdays
- Ensure players are warmed up on Tuesdays and Saturdays
- Fill in the match sheets and ensure the first aid kit is available and fully stocked
- Cover for the captain when she is not available to play
- Watch new players to help team/ squad selection
- organise the team for Saturday
- organise transport to away fixtures/food for home fixtures
- bring kit, balls, first aid kit for all fixtures
- complete paperwork (official match report, upload results online etc)
- captain’s speech at the end of season meal!!
- Liase with other committee members to gather items to discuss at meetings (create agenda)
- Attend meetings and take notes
- Type up/distribute meeting notes via email
- Be the point of contact for Devon hockey – receiving post and electronic emails
- Complete forms e.g. registration for England Hockey/Devon Hockey with the help of other committee members
- all finances for the club; pitch hire, registration of club and teams, insurance, subs for juniors and adults
- collection of money on gate for juniors (or find two wonderful helpers to do that…Ella and Hattie!!)
- most of the emails for the club
Umpire and Fixtures Secretary
- Pre season – email all the fixture secretary’s from every club in each league, firsts and seconds confirming the date of the game, the time, the colours worn and finally that we will provide 2 umpires for our home game and they will provide two umpires for their home games. Any changes made are always followed up by an email.
- All fixtures secretary email addresses are on the Ladies west league hockey club web site.
- At the start of the season I always email or make contact with all the umpires checking they are all available for the season and ask about holidays they have booked etc.
- I then like to get at least 3 weeks in advance booked in with the umpires. This as a rule works however I always make sure contact is made the week of the game with a confirmation text or email and as a gentle reminder.
- All umpires get £10 a game towards costs for fuel and as a good will gesture for them to arrive at 11.15 prompt so push back can start at 11.30. Goals etc checked.
Christmas Meal – Organiser the Christmas Meal,
- Find and Book Venue for roughly 35-40
- Take, deposits/pre-payments
- Make list of people attending and food orders to help when food arrives on the night.
End of Hockey Meal – same as above
Organise socials and help with any other Taw Valley Social events and Tournaments.
- To attend a safeguarding and Hockey Time to Listen course (which will last 3 years)
- Be the appointed person for the club, responsible for the welfare of persons under the age of 18
- To investigate and deal with any safeguarding situations if they arise
Junior Fixtures Secretary/ Junior Co-ordinator
- To find and confirm tournaments for Juniors
- To liaise with parents
- To organise logistics with parents
- To recruit volunteers to help with tournaments by helping to drive/ coaching etc.
- To provide a fixture book for parents, to include tournament dates, times and venue details, names and numbers of Taw helpers.
All Roles are required to attend committee meeting throughout the season, meetings take place from 6.30/7pm.
Taw Valley Ladies Christmas Dinner
Tuesday 11th December
62 The Bank & Bar 62
6:30 for 7pm.
£23 for 2 courses,£27 for 3 courses. Money and choices to Charlotte (in person) or Nell (electronically)
The Taw Valley Winter Quiz is now on sale.
These are £2 each and can be bought at training and matches. All proceeds go to help the running of the club so please support us.
These years theme is Christmas chart songs and you can win £20.
Get your kit order in before the next deadline for Christmas delivery.
Follow the link on the Taw Valley Shop page to get to our shop. Next deadline is 31st October and kit should arrive 6-7 weeks after.